Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Catherine

The last 24+ hours have been a whirlwind. (I am going to apoligize up front for any missed spelled words, I am just typing.) Many up and downs and boy and I glad that we have some good news for once. Yesterday morning (10/19/2010) around 8:30 Catherine (my youngest sister) was in the driver's education car when it was hit. They were at the most dangers intersection in the state of Mississippi. Catherine was sitting behind the passagner seat side in the back. Catherine was sitting in the part of the car where it was hit as they were turning. Catherine was the only one in the car with major injuries. She was airlifted to Tupelo, Mississippi. Went through a numerous amount of scans and xrays. From there they decided that she had a fracture to her skull and that Tupelo wouldn't treat her because she was under the age of 18. Catherine would have to be sent to Memphis, TN to LeBonheur Hospital by ambulance.

By request of Ms. Lisa I will include my ambulance story. Catherine and I now have a running joke around the ambulance ride. Well I thought I was going to be lucky and get the more good looking of the two in the front with me (The orginial plan was from him to be the driver). However, I ended up front with the one that would not shut up. In our 35 minute trip to Memphis (Yes.. I was freaking out we drove anywhere fron 80 to 105 the whole way up here) I learned more about flight school then I ever wanted to know. I now know how to operate an aircraft in a crisis. Something... I never wanted to know about. It was good conversation to keep me calm however, at this point my phone had not quit ringing and I wanted nothing more than a 5 mintue power nap. So as Catherine napped with the more good looking of the two in the back, I got my ears full. We arrived in Memphis and were greated at the door by a wonderful staff. Dad, Christina, Mitchell (our second mom), and Coach Elam (the principal at the high school) went home to pack bags and feed the cats as we had no idea how long we will be here. As we got into the ER at LeBonheur the better looking of the two leaned in my ear and told me he felt sorry for me on the ride to Memphis.... Thank goodness it was only 35 minutes.

After two hours in the ER at LeBonheur we were giving a room. There dad, Christina, Mitchell, Coach Elam, and others were waiting on Catherine and I (Catherine's friend Kelsey and her mother meet us in the ER for the last couple of minutes). We had many ups and downs throughout the night. Catherine was mad she couldn't get out of the bed and go to the bathroom but everytime she got up she got sick. She also is still bleeding out of her ear something caused by the skull fracture from the wreck.

We will probably be here for the night. We are waiting on Catherine to be able to eat a "fatty" meal and keep it down. For the afternoon it is just Catherine and I. Dad has gone home to football practice and boy are we glad. Looking for a good afternoon of movies and nap time. The only major concern is the nerve by Cat's skull fracture it controls all the emotion on her face from smiling, closing her eyes, wrinke in the face, etc. We are hoping the swelling does not get too bad around the nerve so she loses this. We are glad to be out of the clear somewhat and very thankful for all the thoughts and prayers.

Hoping to go home soon. Catherine told me today she was going to the Corinth Ballgame on Friday night. I don't know about this but maybe we can go for a few minutes just to see dad coach and the Warriors win!! I also hope to make it back to Starkville on Saturday to watch the Bulldogs play. Something about my family is we love football. Catherine will not read this (she doesn't have her phone and is gong crazy).. but Mississippi State is sending her some State shirts and boy and I excited. The first thing we did this morning was change into a full State attire. Shirt, shorts, blanket on her bed. The nurses get a kick out of it. And on that note. I love the staff here... They have been wonderful and helped in everything.

I plan to let Catherine nap a little bit and then we are going to TRY to get up and walk the floor a little bit. I am so thankful for all the thoughts, prayers, and concers. We truly are a blessed family to have so many wonderful people in our life! I will continue to post as information becomes available. For now it is rest and more rest. Love each and every person and thank you for everything!

Much Love!
Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment